I finished the sample that I started to test out the Messingbrettchen – brass tablets. I decided that I had enough to make a short dog leash.
I worked it with the black-ground-red-knots side up, but it’s fully reversible.
I used the sewing machine and made X’s over the joins. It’s the first time I’ve used my Grandma’s treadle machine. This one came out pretty decent.
This one’s a little more lopsided. I didn’t leave enough unpatterned area on the end, so the knotwork got caught in this join. If I do another of these, it’ll be a little better thought out!
I’m pleased with how the loop end came out; I stopped the main knotwork pattern and made some blank space, then worked the knots for the loop. It’s made so that the main part of the leash is one string, and the loop has one string, with buckles. The leash fits over my hand easily, but is snug enough that it won’t fall off.
I fattened up the buckles to match the string on these knots… and look what I ended up with! The buckle looks just like the Messingbrettchen.
And here’s Bailey, being a Very Good Dog.