0 0 Michael Michael2008-08-26 15:06:002008-08-26 15:06:00A blog on my own site!
A blog on my own site!
I’ve set up a new blog. It was tough – WordPress and GoDaddy are apparently famous for not getting along. But, finally after much finagling, I have my blog on wormspit.com.
So… y’all go and check it out! The archives are a transfer from my LiveJournal, so that’s nothing new – just a new format and a change of address.
And don’t worry – I plan to keep checking in with my LJ friends, communities, etc.!
Damn, and I was hoping to use godaddy for my cooking solo blog…
It’s certainly not impossible… and once you get it installed it seems to be working flawlessly.
The main issue – you have to find the name of your database host, which is kind of buried – you can’t leave it as “localhost” like it says you can “99% chance you won’t have to change this.” So GoDaddy is in the 1% that has to change it.
New blog in my Google Reader. Whee!
Yaay! And I can see it hitting FeedBurner, which I was not so sure about.
It’s a lot more work being able to open up the back-end of it, but a lot more control too.
My day job involves managing blogs on movable type and typepad. From what I can tell, WordPress is a different kind of the same.
We have FeedBurner feeds of most of our content, though for syndicating to our own web sites, I prefer to use XML templates that generate RSS or atom. Especially since Feedburner immediately shunts any script that doesn’t explicitly set a user agent to a proxy server that sometimes doesn’t update as frequently as the primary server. Google Reader is never likely to have these problems since FeedBurner is also a Google Product 🙂
Ah, cool. I’m not nearly so smart about this yet… if I didn’t install the feedburner, then WordPress would generate an rss feed – but it would be trickier for me to track.
Argggh! Blogger can’t detect an RSS feed from your blog!
Did you specifically (manually) put a feed on it? (can’t tell from comments above)
Wow, I just checked out your new Blog. You have been working a lot on that. I mean all the archives are there for years of blogs. I bet you put in a lot of hours setting up your site. It looks wonderful. Easily I was able to add your RSS to my email. Very cool.
I put a feedburner feed on it, so I can track traffic.
It’s at: http://feeds.feedburner.com/wormspit
Hope that works… I don’t know Blogger very well.
It wasn’t too bad – there are automated tools for transferring LJ and other blogs to XML archives, and then you can import the XML to WordPress. I’ve learned a lot in the past few days!
It worked. Brilliant!
Now I can keep keeping an eye on you, young man!