Month: March 2008

To Keep Them Sweet – finished

The whole thing. I need to make some backdrops for the light tent. Chris got me the tent for a present, and it makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the light in close-up shots – but I’m still figuring out it.

"To Keep Them Sweet": Progress, of a sort.

The ribbon is proceeding slowly onward. I encountered some serious problems (mostly tension, although a couple of missed turns also contributed) and had to start the ribbon over. It hurt, but it was truly for the best. At this point, I’ve gotten through most of page 7 out of 15 pages of chart (plus a [Continue]

Found: US source for Pony needles!

The folks at Pony told me that Kirstin at Muench Yarns carries their needles. I checked the Muench Yarns website, and was only able to find their KNITTING needles… but after a couple of emails, I got in touch with Kirstin herself, and she does indeed have them! She has the 9, 10, 11, and [Continue]

Needles in macro

The needle on the left is a Richard Hemming #10 crewel; the one on the right is the Pony Brand #10 crewel. It looks like it’s a little finer, and the head is significantly finer. These are the three sizes – #10, #11, #12. I’ve put the pointy ends even, so you can see how [Continue]

The Geffe Ribbon: begun

I’m working on the Geffe ribbon; I’ve gotten through nearly four pages of chart (counting the moth, which ought to be more like 2 pages because the two-color brocade takes FOREVER on 73 tablets!) I’m pleased with how the beads are working out. They’re strung on the main weft, which is a bit of a [Continue]

Needles: I LOVE getting packages from India

I’ve often heard of things being “nested like Chinese boxes” – but what I get, are these nested packages from India. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything so thoroughly packaged, as the things I get from India. This time, it’s needles. I wrote to the folks at Pony Needles in India, and asked if [Continue]

The Peony: finished, finally!

It’s finally done! I have to admit – the leaves have a little bit of experimentation going on, partly because I was trying to figure it out, partly because I was just tired of working on this piece. I glued it to the mat under tension with PVA bookbinder’s adhesive, and put mat on front [Continue]