I have an article in the current issue of Piecework, about the process of making silk thread for embroidery. I’m excited! It may seem kind of odd to pop this in, right after the post about digging out from the depression/not making anything cycle – but I started drafting that article back in February, just hadn’t ever gotten it finished. So, this is the First Good Thing, a milepost on the way back to doing creative work.
Along with the article, I published a project, a stargazer lily stitched from flat silk.
The process was a lot like drawing – some parts were regimented, some parts were free-form and organic. It felt really good. I’m pleased with how it came out. I made this with Japanese Embroidery Center‘s flat silk, so that the project would be repeatable. Don’t tell anybody, but all the white silk in the picture is silk I reeled – I think the JEC folks could probably differentiate it from theirs, but I think they’re probably the only ones.
The finished embroidery, and my original photo.
It has been delivered to subscribers, and should be on newsstands now – or there’s a digital download at their website.